Last Tuesday, July 7th, I crashed my beautiful new car, a 2008 Chrysler PT Cruiser. Gasp! So here's how it went down... I went to my friend Mindy's to pick her up so we could go run errands for Vacation Bible School (yes I crashed my car while running errands for God!) And we were on our way to the Dollar Tree. Well, on the right hand side of River Road in Keizer, they are building a Sonic. So, I looked to the right to see the construction for a split second, and when I looked back, I was in the backseat of this guy's car. There was just NO time to even stop! It all happened so fast! The airbags didn't deploy, so Mindy and I immediately tried to get out of the car because Mindy's 6 month old son, Sylas, was in the backseat and we needed to get to him! Lo and behold however, due to the way the car crumpled, we could barely get the doors open! Talk about the most terrifying 20 seconds of my life! We managed to shove open the doors and get Sylas out of the car, (who THANK GOD was okay, and laughing and happy within minutes) and within seconds, the police were there.
The man I hit pulled about 3 car lengths ahead, and immediately ran back to me to see if I had insurance! Uh yes buddy, I have insurance! Now go comfort your daughter who is standing there crying! Talk about insensitive! Ambulances showed up, as did the fire department. They took our vitals and Mindy and I both declined to be transported by ambulance to the hospital. The guy who I hit, aka MOOCH, originally claimed he was okay. He was picking up his young daughter (who happened to be sitting in the FRONT seat in a booster), and moving about apparently pain free. However, once his wife got to the scene, he began limping and claiming he was hurt and needed to be taken in the ambulance. Right... Well, unfortunately, I couldn't get a hold of Mike, so I called my mom who came to get me immediately. Right before leaving the scene, the officer came up and slapped me with a ticket for "Careless Driving" $427! I don't think I was carelessly driving- I think I just got distracted for a split second and the guy stopped. I also never saw his brake lights. So I will be fighting that one in court. Wish me luck. Anyways, my mom took one look at my bruising and saw me limping and said, we're going to the hospital!
At the hospital, they took x-rays of my knee that I hit underneath the steering column. Fortunately nothing was broken, but the ER doc who looked at me for a total of 4 seconds, so he wouldn't have diagnosed anything but a broken bone anyways. He set me up with some Percocet and told me to ice my knee and see my regular doctor.
The car is in pretty bad shape, and had to be towed to Kadel's Auto Body in Salem. I got a call today, and they aren't going to total it, but the damage is over $7000! I guess my car did exactly what it was designed to do though, so the repairs are very common and easy. I also went to my doctor today, who said that I have "Patellar Tendonitis" or, "Jumper's Knee" Here is more info:
The kneecap (patella) is a small bone in the front of the knee. It glides up and down a groove in the thigh bone (femur) as the knee bends and straightens. The patellar tendon is a thick, ropelike structure that connects the bottom of the patella to the top of the large shin bone (tibia). The powerful muscles on the front of the thigh, the quadriceps muscles, straighten the knee by pulling at the patellar tendon via the patella. Patellar tendinitis is the term used to describe inflammation of the patellar tendon. Patellar tendinitis usually occurs as a result of overdoing an activity and placing too much stress on the patellar tendon before it is strong enough to handle the stress. This overuse results in "micro tears" in the patellar tendon which leads to inflammation and pain. Over time damage to the patellar tendon can occur. In extreme cases, the patellar tendon may become damaged to the point of complete rupture.So yeah, that's everything in a nutshell...
I've posted pics for your viewing pleasure
No comments:
Post a Comment